Year 9 and 10 encompass our philosophy of; Embracing academic inclusivity and diversity; by providing opportunity for every boy to achieve personal excellence. Our mission; to develop young men with a strength of character, self-understanding, a passion for sustained learning and spiritual inquiry who will become active members of the global community. Our Vision; A learning Community with an International Standard of Excellence.
The Year 9 and 10 programme is designed to offer a contemporary education to boys with an aim to develop young men, whilst guiding them through a changing period in their life.
We seek to do this by creating an education experience that:
- Challenges traditional education aiming to engage adolescent boys
- Is based in research
- Delivers the Australian Curriculum through the SCSA K-10 outline
- Extends where needed, supports where needed
- Teaches explicitly the Approaches to Learning skills
- Has a local, national and international focus
- Includes service learning
- Gives students a voice
- Aims to develop a positive mindset in relation to the boys’ wellbeing
- Promotes a strong connection between home and school
The programme has been designed to address a number of perceived limitations in the traditional pedagogical approaches for the teaching of Year 9 boys. That can result in under-achievement, low student engagement, inadequate skill development and lower literacy and numeracy competencies.
Years 9 and 10 are dedicated to developing the Approaches to Learning skills in conjunction with a mastery of content (as defined by the Australian Curriculum) using an inquiry based, concept focused approach. The aim is to prepare boys to be best placed in their ability to successfully achieve within the Diploma, WACE ATAR or VET pathways.
The philosophy by which the Year 9 and 10 programme is developed at Scotch College is in recognition of the changes that adolescents experience around this time within human development. This development is supported by our Teaching and Learning programmes which promotes a sense of inclusivity and belonging.