This is a challenging and highly technical course where boys will have the opportunity to use the design cycle to devise innovative products. Students will use computer-modelling, laser cutting and hands-on traditional techniques to produce skill builders and a major design task based on a musical instrument. Boys who undertake this course should be highly competent in Woodwork and interested in Graphic Design and Technical Graphics. There is a strong emphasis on working safely in the workshop setting.
The Product Design course helps prepare boys for WACE Dimensional Design/IB Diploma Design and Technology in Years 11 and 12.
Students will create solutions to problems by:
- Investigating and defining
- Producing and implementing
- Collaborating and managing
The following non-technical Approaches to Learning (ATL) skills will be explicitly taught through the course:
- Social: Collaboration Skills – IB.ATL.SOC.1.14 Give and receive meaningful feedback.
- Research: Information Literacy – IB.ATL.RES.1.05 Collect and analyse data to identify solutions and make informed decisions.